When we moved into our new house, I just had to come up with a homemade recipe for a non toxic sink cleaner. Our sink was downright disgusting…as in “never been cleaned” gross! Naturally, I had to do something about it without busting out the old toxic cleaners. So I came up with this super easy recipe for a non toxic sink cleaner. It can also be used for bathtubs or other areas that need deep scouring.
The best part about this green sink cleaner is that it’s made from items you probably already have on hand and it takes less than a minute to whip up a batch. It’s that easy!
Non Toxic Sink Cleaner Recipe
- ¼ cup baking soda (I use this one for everything)
- ¼ cup fine salt (bigger salt crystals do not work as well)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 6 drops high quality lemon essential oil (should be therapeutic grade for purity)
- 1 tsp-1tbsp water (if needed)
- small glass or ceramic ramekin or bowl – MUST be glass or ceramic! (These glass ramekins are awesome because they are cheap and they have lids, so you can save your mixture for later in the day by adding the lid.)
You can see how gross our sink was in the picture! The right side is pre-cleaning. See how disgusting it was? SO yucky!! Check out the left side after cleaning with this non toxic sink scrub…BIG difference, right?
Here’s the before (right) and after pictures of my sink (left)
Non Toxic Sink Scrub Instructions
- Mix dry soda and salt first in the ramekin.
- Then add vinegar…it will fizz.
- Next add the lemon oil and the water, if needed. The key is to get the mixture lightly grainy, but not runny. So if you need water, add a few drops at a time.
- Apply to desired area and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Scrub, scrub, scrub!
- For very severe stains, you may need to repeat the process as you would with any conventional sink cleaner.
Here you can see the mixture in the glass ramekin before I added a few drops of water. This consistency is too grainy and won’t spread well.
One caution with the plastic ramekin lids. Since this mixture has lemon oil in it, make sure if you store if for a day or two that the sink cleaner does not touch the plastic lid as essential oils are potent and break down chemicals in the plastic.
Try it and let me know what you think! Have your own amazing non toxic sink cleaner recipe? Leave us your tips in the comment section?