A lovely spring salad is one of my favorite things to have for lunch come springtime. I find that my energy levels are much higher when my fruit and veg intake is higher during the day. This Bright Spring Salad with Pecorino is exceptional with it’s bright flavors and depth of taste.
My husband and I came up with this spring salad recipe together when scouring the fridge for lunch options one day. It’s become a new household favorite. The red onions really add a nice depth of flavor. This spring salad with pecorino is simply delightful! Make it for 1, make it for 10…it’s delicious! The addition of the hemp seeds and the Pecorino as well as the olive oil make this a satisfying meal.
Bright Spring Salad Ingredients:
- 1 cup organic herb salad mix (mixed red and green lettuce varieties with herbs…any kind will do)
- 1/2 cup organic mixed baby kale
- 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1-2 tbsp chopped red onion (depending on preference)
- 1/3 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1tbsp fresh squeezed organic lemon juice
- 2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil (my current go-to for salads is the unfiltered Tunisian one from Trader Joes. This is my all-time favorite olive oil when I can find it nearby.)
- himalayan sea salt, sprinkled liberally to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- grated Pecorino-Romano cheese (to taste)
The quantities for the spring salad above are for one person. It can easily be multiplied for more people. Another good tip? Keep your Pecorino in the freezer. Since Pecorino is a cheese with big impact in small quantities, you usually don’t need much. Keeping it in the freezer preserves it so you always have it on hand when you need it.
Bright Spring Salad Recipe Instructions:
- Layer herb salad mix on bottom, then baby kale, and then green cabbage.
- Sprinkle with himalayan salt and pepper. Let sit while you chop the red onions and orange bell pepper.
- Add onions and peppers.
- Sprinkle hemp seeds on top.
- Drizzle fresh squeezed lemon juice all over salad. Follow with the olive oil.
- Sprinkle with fresh grated (or pre-grated) Pecorino cheese.