I took my very favorite pancakes and re-invented it into this delicious healthy almond coconut pancakes recipe. The results are scrumptious!
These are a great way to sneak nutritious ingredients into breakfast for picky kiddos. I now make the dry portion in bulk for my own super fast homemade baking mix for mornings when we are in a rush.
Ingredients for Almond Coconut Pancakes
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp organic champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup organic spelt flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground almond meal
- 2 tbsp organic cane juice
- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink sea salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- coconut oil for the pan
- oats – optional, for thickening
- toasted coconut – optional, for sprinkling
Almond Coconut Pancakes Recipe Instructions
- Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to “sour”.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg and melted coconut oil into “soured” milk with a fork. (TIP: if you whisk the egg and warm coconut oil together first and then slowly whisk in the soured milk, the coconut oil will not clump and your liquid mixture will be smooth.)
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with coconut oil. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet. Sprinkle oats on top of the batter side of the pancake for extra thick and fluffy pancakes. (This REALLY works! It’s kind of amazing!)
- Cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.
- Serve with organic maple syrup or with plain yogurt and fresh berries. Or both if it suits your fancy. Sprinkle toasted coconut on the top. Yum!
I learned the trick of adding dry oats to the bottom of pancakes from my great aunt when I was a kid. It never fails to make your pancakes EXTRA fluffy!